It’s that time of year again (unfortunately), where everyone and anyone is coughing and sneezing and spreading the ickyness we all dread and aim to avoid!
Lately, in the midst of midterms and work, I’ve been struggling with taking care of my body and putting it first by feeding it the right foods. The most important aspect of this season is not only keep healthy (duh), but to take EXTRA caution this season. It’s hard transitioning from those Summer junky foods like ice cream and bbq to foods that nourish and defend your body from the diseases that roll around in the Fall. With the change in the weather, my busy schedule that causes a severe lack of sleep and my carelessness of nourishing my body and not eating right, I got a nasty cold, followed by an ear infection!
I hardly get sick, so when my cold didn’t clear up after three days and the ear infection soon followed, I knew something was definitely wrong with my immune system and realized I hadn’t eaten a raw veggie in over a week! I don’t mean veggies incorporated into cooked foods like Chinese food, etc. I mean actual raw fruits and veggies and pure whole meals. Because of my busy schedule, I had been eating out a lot and usually meals at restaurants hardly serve fresh veggies and fruits in their comfort dishes.
I had forgotten how important it is to make sure your body is getting the right nutrients and decided to do my body right since I needed a good cleanse! Here’s the soup I started with and plan to eat frequently to strengthen my immune system and get back to the groove! It’s gluten-free, inexpensive, super easy to make at home and SUPER yummy!
- Trader Joe’s Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 cups Kale
- 2 cups of Trader Joe’s Veggie Mix or Regular Diced
- Yellow Onion
- Cooked, unseasoned shredded chicken breast
- 1 Garlic
- 1 tsp Lemon Pepper
- Pour contents of TJ’s Organic Chicken Broth into medium sized pot
- Heat to a small simmer
- Toss in spinach, kale and diced veggie mix and let simmer for 2 mins while stirring
- Toss in cooked shredded chicken breast and stir
- Dice Garlic and toss into pot and let simmer for 2 mins while stirring
- Add tsp of Lemon Pepper
- Lower heat to LOW and stir
- Turn of heat and cover with pot cover for 5 mins to cool and let the ingredients rest to make the flavor!
- Serve in bowls!
That’s literally it!
This recipe is so easy to make and SO good for you! It’s super fast and great for getting over colds and just eating in general to build up your immune system during the weather change!
Simplistic and Realistic approaches to life style and bad habits.